Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My Fave 5!

I thought I'd share with the world my personal 5 Favorite Exercises. These 5 exercises I typically do first in any workout, or they are the staple exercises I start with whenever i feel I need to get back to it. They each work different muscle groups, but are my favorite for different reasons. (I am not including any Cardio in this list)

#1: DIPS. I love Dips. Dips Dips Dips Dips... I love Dips. Shoulders, triceps, chest, core... This Love for dips probably started as a youth in gymnastics where we would do dips up and down the parrellel bars. Then continued into Junior High and High School where I would do them with a wife beater on and dangling weights. I remember watching the Spider Web forming in my chest while I did the dips... They work almost all of your upperbody as well as your core, to keep the correct Dipping position. - Yes. Dips are my #1 Favorite Exercise.

#2: Reverse Push Up, or Inverted Rows (using bench Bar on Squat rack Lie underneath and Pull yourself up to the bar at a 45 degree angle). this one is Very Difficult to do alot of... That's why i like it. you can do 3 sets of 12-15 and be SHOT! your chest, back, Arms... yes all of your arms, are completely spent. It's best if you have your legs completely out and keep your Core and body straight and in line. form is the key here. It hurts, is efficient in short #'s and works. and that's why I like it.

#3: Weighted Squat Explosion. It's more than just a squat or a jump.... you grab 10-25 lbs weights and hold them on your shoulder. Squat down with the weights still on the shoulder and then Explode upward and then when you get on your tippie toes, Jump and throw the weights as high and as fast as you can into the air (keep your grip on them of course) and then on the way back down... right back into the squat. It's an Explosive movement that works the front and backl of your legs, calves, butt, and then also the shoulders with the press. do them FAST with no rest in between for 12-15 reps. if you can do that easily with the weight.. add more weight.

#4: Bar Squat! Oldie and goodie. one of the best and most basic muscle builders there is. Even without too much weight, it's effectivness in toning the butt, and legs is unparellelled. Add on the weight and you have the sinlge best muscle building exercise out there. Plus there are many variations of the squat that are all effective in toning, shaping, and building. My personal favorite variotion is doing 10 regular squats then 10 qucik 12/ squats (bouncing really) fromthe down position, you never quite come all the way up, just let the thighs burn to a 10-15 count. try it.. you may not like it, but you'll definately feel it. The Squat is just a Classic old Fashioned kick your butt exercise.

#5: The Rocky Ab Blaster. This one was tough, is tough and kind of tough to explain. Watch Rocky 4 as Sly is getting ready for Drago! this scene happens during the pump up music and it's just amazing... he is lying on a picnin bench with his Hands behind him and gripping the bench. You can do this on the ground but you need to have something or someone heavier than you holding your hands down (I've found a nice couch or a door with your fingers under works as well) you lift your Legs all the way up to a vertical position and while arching your back a bit, you lower yourlegs to try and touch your toes (not your butt) to the floor, then back up. If you can do this you have a Rock solid core! It's not easy, but it's fun to try. As a way to increase the probability of accomplishing this exercise, I reccomend plank holds, and Hanging leg Raises to trenghten the core first.

What's your Favorite exercise????? let me know!

No comments: