Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Great Upper Body workout.. Less than 20 min

OK, so as a Personal Trainer, i get the fun job of, at times, just making up workouts for the people I train. usually they work well, occasionally they suck and i switch it up before they realize I just made it up, and then there are times like this morning, when i say... WOW, now that was good!

This Mornings upper body workout I gave my clients to do was so good in fact that i actually went right to the all new 24hr fitness at 5:30am to do it myself. and yes, It was that good.

Let me start by saying that my clients have asked that I give them 1 lower body workout, 1 upper body workout, and 1 core strength workout each week. I have 3 sessions, and it's at times difficult to get a full upper body workout in 30 minutes. Sometimes I need to get creative. Well this morning started out in my mind as a cold wet morning that i needed to keep them inside, and we would just do a few circuit workouts with machines etc. When i left the house at 4:45am... it was surprisingly warm for November. ( my truck said 68 degrees) so I thought. well, maybe we can go outside and do what I had planned with weights. on my 3 minute drive to the Fit Stop I concocted the following plan.

After their warm up I had them do the following:
20 reps of each of the following 3 exercises:
- Push up x20
- Chair dip x 20
- Overhead press (60lbs) x 20 - i had them pressing a 60lb bag of sand i did it with 30lb dumbbells in each hand at the gym

15 reps of the Same
- Push up x15
- Chair dip x 15
- Overhead press (60lbs) x 15

Then a 10 Set to end it
- Push up x10
- Chair dip x 10
- Overhead press (60lbs) x 10

I then had them grab 25 lb weights (I did mine with 30's find one that is comfortable and not too heavy)
- Alternating curls x15
- Single arm rows x 15
- Standing dumbbell flys x 15

Then a 12 rep Set of the Same weight and exercises
-Alternating curls x12
- Single arm rows x 12
- Standing dumbbell flys x 12

and finished with a 10 rep set.
- Alternating curls x10
- Single arm rows x 10
- Standing dumbbell flys x 10

That workout alone was enough to fire up the forearms, biceps, Triceps, Chest, and shoulders. with a small spark to the back from the light rows. and can be done quickly. i felt my arms pumping and swollen after i finished the workout.

At the end of this set, I still had some time to kill so I took them inside for some Seated Cable rows, machine curls (2 sets each one for 45 sec the other for 30 sec) and then Finished them off with a triceps blaster I learned from my cousin Fred about 15 yrs ago.

Grab a 30lb weight or more, lie flat on your back with your head at the end of a bench. grab the weight by the plate, and lower your Straight arms back behind you past your head and past parallel and back up. do 15 Reps of that, then 15 reps side to side with the weight bringing it down almost to your armpit and extend up almost to lockout but not quite (taking it to each side left and right counts as one) 15 reps there, and then simply press it off your chest straight up in the air until your arms give out.

It was nice to see them grabbing their forearms, triceps and shoulders after the workout.

ENJOY!

No comments: